Monday, September 24, 2007

27 going on 35

Today is my birthday and I am 27 years young. However when I look at where I am in my life, and where other 27 year old people are I feel like I am 35.

Take for instance the fact that I have three kids. Not a big deal right? Well when you consider the fact that my oldest will be 9 in January, then that makes a little difference. Not to mention that out of all of my friends, aside from my brother and sister-in-law, we are the only ones with kids. In fact most of my friends got married this past year.

Another fact. I have been married for 9 years this past August, and my husband and I have been a couple for 12 years this coming October. Now that means I have been in the same relationship since I was 15! Not that it matters to me. I couldn't be happier with my life, its just a long time when you look at how young I was.

But you know what? Its OK. I don't mind that I can relate to people who are 35 year old. I can still relate to 20 somethings, 40 somethings. I actually don't have an age group that I feel I can relate more to than others. Or a people group for that matter.

Sure I'm a mom, but obviously I can get along with women who aren't. And I do daycare, but that doesn't mean I don't know anything about the corporate world. I'm on the PTF board at my kids' school, but does that mean I can't relate to the woman who hates the functions? Nope.

So I guess while today is my birthday, and I'm getting closer to the 30 something world, I really don't see it affecting me much. Age truly is a number. It doesn't define us, well at least it doesn't define me.

No comments: