Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Honey I don't care about gaining weight anymore

Yes. That is what I said to my husband on Saturday. His reply? "Then I'm getting a girlfriend." And he was serious! Actually I don't think he was, but I know I scared the hell out of him.

See I'm a smaller girl, not as small as I used to be, but I've had three kids, and according to everyone, "you look great for having three kids." Isn't that like telling someone they look great for losing an eye or something? But that is another post completely.

Lately I have been in a slump. Which I am sure everyone gets in. I'm 27, three kids, hubby of almost 10 years. Not bad at all. But I tell you, its easier to want to let yourself go, when you have all of this security around. Brian wouldn't really leave me. I do way to much for him. Plus, I think he loves me or something like that.

Lets start with all the reasons its easy to let yourself go.

Three kids is a good one. If I'm not helping them with their homework, I'm running them to dance, piano, choir, or youth group. I don't get off work until 5, and then its dinner, and then showers, and then bedtime. By the time I get them to bed its 8, and I lay down on the couch, watch Myth Busters with Brian and fall asleep.

The gym is intimidating. Have you ever noticed that the only people who go to the gym, don't really need to? I never seen on flabby body there. And let me tell you, I've got some flab. Plus I have no clue what I'm doing. I don't like to sweat in front of people, even though that's what you do at the gym. I don't like to have people watch me, and even though nobody is, I just got over going to the mall alone without feeling like people think I'm a loser.

Another good excuse, the gym is far away. Never mind that while the kids are in choir and youth group two nights a week, I am literally down the street from the gym. On those nights I drive right past the gym to Old Navy and Barnes and Nobles. I have gotten some killer deals on the bargain racks!

So what it really comes down to, is I don't care. It is far easier to makes excuses as to why I can't exercise, then to actually make the effort. Right? Okay maybe not.

I have made a promise to myself to make an effort to exercise, for myself, yes. I don't want to feel like that mom who doesn't care. But also so Brian doesn't have to stress about finding a girlfriend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the first time in my life I am a huge cow and I really dont care. I spent all my energy taking care of my children.
Dont worry about a little bit of sag or whatnot.

Hug your children for excercise. Trust me, they dont care what you look like.

Here blogsurfing from So the fish said.

Nicole Brady said...

I completely relate to this... I gained weight as a result of infertility treatments, then the resulting pregnancy, then the resulting stress, then helping the kids clean their plates... I'm sure you're relating.

When we moved back to Iowa from Los Angeles, I decided to join the gym. I ventured to the elliptical, OMG, and did it a few times a week. All it did was make my butt bigger. A friend talked me into one of the classes (cardio and strength) and I enjoyed it so much I only miss it when I have to. That was a little over a year ago. I'm not dieting, I'm just getting back into shape. I work out daily in one of the classes and it's become quite a social outlet for me. I hope you decide to join the gym and if you do, give one of the group classes a shot!

If that picture of you on your page is any indication of your current size, then you'll probably be one of the smaller people in the class anyway! :)