Monday, October 15, 2007

Did I just say that?

Did you ever have a moment where you were a little ashamed of yourself? Well mine came the other day.

My youngest, William who is 3, was playing with some trains in the living room. Brian was in the kitchen, and I was doing something in our room. Brian called me into the kitchen and told me to look at William. And there he is sitting on the floor, feeding a baby doll a bottle.

Now let me say that I have never played into the gender roles of girls not playing with trucks, and boys can't play house. But this scene kind of threw me off. I looked at him, and looked at the doll, then at my husband. Brian thought it was totally cute, and was talking to William about what he was doing.

I on the other hand freaked a little. And I cannot figure out why. Now I didn't go and grab the doll away, or tell him to stop. But the first thought that came to my mind was "what are you doing! Your a boy!" Then I stopped. Why shouldn't he play with dolls? Why did it bother me. Wasn't he preparing to be a good father? (Yes I know, looking way to far into the future) The fact that he was playing with this baby, and being loving, should have made me melt. It didn't, but I'm working on that.

See little girls can play with trucks, and play sports and that is cool. Makes them tough, shows that they are too girly, and can hang with the boys. So if its OK for girls do do boy things, why can't boys do girl things? Is the world so full of stereotypes that we are afraid what our boys might turn into if we allow them to play with girl things? I mean honestly what is the worst thing that can happen?

So while I was ashamed of myself for my minor freak out, it also made me think. Which is always a good thing.

1 comment:

AJ said...

Thats a tough one... I have a daughter so I'm not familiar with raising a son. But I would have reacted the way you did, then caught myself they way you did. It IS something to think about and perhaps you can help yourself and your son break those stereotypes.